Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Unfiltered

1. I'm finding Google Reader is a nice way to keep up with current journal articles. My only problem is that Nature and Science publish so much per week it's hard to weed through it all. I'm late to the game here, but RSS is really nice.

2. I have t.v. for the first time in over a year and the only thing on is a hotdog eating contest... I think I'll stick to Hulu and DVDs.

3. Apparently learning C will make me more competitive in the job market once I graduate. Add that to the list of things I never imagined doing before grad school.

4. I'm hoping Public Enemies will be good because aside from Star Trek and Up this summer has been incredibly disappointing. I guess this is all because of the Writer's Strike a year or so ago?

5. I went to Manhattan with some friends to see fireworks on the fourth. Little known fact, Manhattan is crowded and there are a lot of people there. I got some pictures with my phone, but I'm not sure how to upload them.

6. Scanning brains every day is fun, counterbalancing experimental trials is not. I'm glad I'm not a "real" scientist because I kinda hate sitting in the lab all day working alone.

7. Ikea is like legos for adults. Walmart is like torture for everyone. All my furniture is assembled except for my bed. Thanks for the easy instructions there Walmart!

8. There is a drawing class offered at Stony Brook in the summer. I'm thinking that next year (when I know about it before the deadline) I'll sign up. Wierdly, the pottery class is super popular with psychology people.

9. Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev might just be the best superhero noir story I've ever read. Too bad it peters out so much at the end. Some of the best comics I've ever read... but by the end they are some of the worst.

10. Intro to Neurobiological Techniques? Ok! Developmental Neurobiology? Ok! Why are there no Biopsychology courses being offered again?

No comments: