Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Movies I liked in the 2000's: Kill Bill

Inglourious Basterds might just be a better piece of cinema, but I can't help but love the most unabashedly B grade movie of all time. 



For the purposes of this review, I'm considering Volumes 1 and 2 to be two parts of the same movie.  Though tonally that couldn't be more different, the whole thing really works best when you watch the two parts back to back.

Now, Kill Bill might just have the most ludicrous plot I've ever seen and it unashamedly steals from just about every genre film ever made, but somehow it all works.  What makes Kill Bill so amazing to me that it should really be the worst movie ever.  However, somehow the combination of klingon proverbs, insane fight sequences, anime, Ennio Morricone, Sonny Chiba, discussions about Superman, and stealing Bruce Lee's wordrobe not only works, but makes for some incredibly engaging viewing.

No comments: