Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Coup d'etat

Myself and some other students have been rather unimpressed with a class we are taking. Mostly, we're finding the material to be too much review and not challenging enough at the graduate level. Getting a ph.D comes with the assumption that you are an expert (or at least knowledgeable) in your field and this course will not be helping us to accomplish that.

It's gotten so bad that I've actively starting calling out the professor in regards to any oversights and overgeneralizations in the class presentations. I'm not trying to be pretentious, I just want to make sure that the information being presented is correct, even if it is just review. Also... the class is really boring so it gives me something to do besides tetris.

Well, I've had some discussions with some people who can do something about this, and it appears the class will be changed somewhat. I've probably talked myself into doing some additional presentations this semester, but its not like I need free-time anyways. In the meantime, myself and some of the other students are actively looking for materials that would allow us to teach ourselves the material.

Should make for a fun semester.

No comments: