Saturday, June 19, 2010

Post Apocalyptic Movie Marathon Part 1: The Book of Eli

After programming for 12-14 hours all day, every day for the last few weeks, I've gotten to the point where I need to just stare of at some flickering lights for awhile when I get home.  I didn't mean to do this, but I've ended up watching a series of movies involving the end of the world.

First up, The Book of Eli.


I really wasn't expecting much from this.  Though I really like both Denzel Washington and Gary Oldman as actors, the trailers made the film look like a bunch of mindless action.  However, while The Book of Eli wasn't exactly the most introspective movie I've ever seen, it did end up dealing with some much bigger themes than I was expecting.  

This isn't to say that I thought it was a great film or anything.  The discussions of religion throughout the film are much to overt to be very interesting and any and all allegory is thrown out when necessary to make way for a cool fight scene.  Still, this was significantly better than I was expecting and probably worth checking out.  Though a lot of the film is borrowed from more original sources, there are enough interesting ideas in The Book of Eli to merit a look.

Plus, you can't really go wrong when a film features both Malcom McDowell and Tom Waits in bit parts.

No comments: