Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Excuse me if I bite your head off.

Just some random bullet points:
  • Less than a week ago it was 50 degrees... now its snowing and raining at the same time.
  • We just found out that graduate students in the Neuroscience department receive a stipend that is $10,000 more than in the psychology department. This despite the fact that they don't have to TA every semester and we do much of the same work.
  • Stony Brook is planning to raise tuition to help with the financial issues. As usual, the undergrads are protesting this. The increase will be on the order of $600 dollars a year. According to our rough estimates, this won't cover the difficulties faced by a single department, nevermind the entire school (or state for that matter).
  • Trying to find housing on Long Island is seemingly impossible. Basically everything available is either 9 million dollars or a spare room in someone's house.
  • The cash strapped university is currently painting the stairwells of the psychology building. Nevermind the fact that they have stopped heating these same stairwells for cost reasons, but they are also painting the walls the same color they painted them over the summer.
  • The class that I TA for, Drugs in the Brain, is much more challenging (and useful) than my required biopsych course this semester.
I'm not bitter or anything but between all this, people writing on the refrigerator, and random smokestacks, I'm starting to feel like I'm living in crazy land. Then again... it is Long Island, I'm not sure there's a difference.

No comments: