Tuesday, March 29, 2011

How Research Works: IX

A SMALL SEMINAR ROOM- 5:10

(Our industrious grad student has just finished giving a talk)

GRAD STUDENT
Thanks everyone.  Does anyone have any questions?

VERY TENURED PROFESSOR
I do! Could you explain to me something I read in the New York Times that is only tangentially related to the research you do and not at all related to what you just spent 80 minutes talking about?

GRAD STUDENT
I'm... not sure I can.  I'm sorry.

VERY TENURED PROFESSOR
Well.  Ok.  Can you give me a working hypothesis for an experiment I am just now, while talking to you, making up.  Keep in mind I know nothing about the work that has already been done in the area, I am speaking in very vague terms, and that I respond poorly to ambiguity.

GRAD STUDENT
Er.  The... results... will be significant?

VERY TENURED PROFESSOR
Hm.  Lets talk in my office tomorrow.  How does 6am sound?

No comments: