Thursday, April 28, 2011

Swamp Thing vs Geoff Johns (Revisited)

I can admit when I'm wrong.

Rebooting Swamp Thing's entire character from scratch isn't the worst way to make this work.  I really isn't.  I think the character deserves better than being dragged through a silly Geoff John crossover, but I actually sort of like where this is going.  For now it seems like the essence of the character is being preserved, while the some the baggage that comes along with it is being quietly ignored.  The (re)introduction of John Constantine into the mix is surprising, but encouraging.  The Constantine/Swamp Thing dynamic is an essential part of the best Swamp Thing stories, so I'm glad to see it return.  Its still don't necessarily agree with bringing these characters back, but at least its being done (sort of) well.


Of course, I don't see how all this couldn't have happened without canceling the China Mieville series.  Marvel seems to have no problem trusting their readers to differentiate their more adult oriented books from the all ages fare (though neither D.C. or Marvel's mainstream books are exactly suitable for children at the moment), so I'm not sure why the two books couldn't coexist.  And really, D.C. isn't canceling Hellblazer, even after bringing John Constantine.  Oh well.  For now, I'm just hoping that the new Swamp Thing series will feature a good creative team.  Blatantly stealing from Alan Moore is only going to get D.C. so far.





Brightest Day #24
Written By: Geoff Johns and Peter Tomasi
Art:  Scott Clark, Patrick Gleason, Joe Prado, Ivan Reis, and Ardian Syaf

4 comments:

Phil said...

This whole thing caught me off guard but I am pretty interested in where it will go, and as much John isn't the right person to write the character going forward I think he was a solid choice to write him coming back to mainstream DC.

Unknown said...

I don't disagree. He's a big name and he can his around old Alan Moore stories. Going forward though, I think someone a bit less... conventional should write the character. Not Grant Morrison (though I like his take on the character from the 90's) necessarily but someone who has that kind of cho[s for writing weird fiction. Someone like Peter Milligan or Mike Carey.

After seeing how this has turned out, I'm less upset about it than I was a few weeks ago. Provided the stories that come from this are good, I think this was probably the right move. Have you read the Alan Moore issues? If the stories that come out of all this are anything like the Batman arc I'll be very happy.

Phil said...

I have read the Alan Moore stuff and agree that Morrison shouldn't write it going forward, I would just be concerned without a big gun writer that the series won't get the readership it will hopefully deserve

Unknown said...

China Mieville is a big name. Not that I'm bitter...