Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Enchiladas + Beef + Egg

I have very few rules about eating in restaurants.  I'll try almost anything, almost anywhere.  A rule that I encourage everyone to follow is whenever a waiter/cook asks if you would like something not on the menu or an alternative preparation of something on the menu, always say yes.

The second variant of this rule came up this weekend at Gabino's Diner.  Every time I go to this place I have an interesting dinning experience.  Last time I ended up getting some complementary flan and some of the best chips and salsa on Long Island.  This time, I had some of the best enchiladas I've had on the east coast.


Eventually I'll order traditional diner fare at Gabino's.  I'm sure their pancakes and eggs are delicious, and their sandwiches all look amazing.  However, Gabino's also happens to have the best Mexican food within 40 minutes of my house.  Given that the only other Mexican place I know of on the island is an inconveniently far distance away, and there are plenty of places to get pancakes and eggs on the island, it'll probably be awhile before I order traditional diner fare at Gabino's.

On my most recent trip to Gabino's a very interesting question was posed to me, "Would you like beef and an egg on those enchiladas?"  Given my rule of dining, I absolutely had to say yes.  Especially since the waitress assured me that this was the way that everyone in the back ate their enchiladas.  With that sort of recommendation, I really couldn't say no.  Now I like almost anything with an egg on it and I like beef a lot, but I wasn't really sure how it would all work.  Turns out it all works amazingly well, the egg and the tomatillo sauce work well together as does the beef and chicken enchiladas.  What looked to be a massive pile of random foodstuffs turned out to be quite flavorful and delicious.

I haven't been led astray by following my rule of restaurant eating.  Nor have I been led astray by Gabino's.  Every time I go there, I have a memorable dinning experience.  And really, I can't ask for more than that.

No comments: