Wednesday, June 8, 2011

How Research Works: 40

PI's OFFICE

GRAD STUDENT
I got accepted to that fMRI bootcamp at UCLA in July, but I just found out my cousin is getting married during that time.  I guess I can re-apply for next year?

PI
Or you could go to the bootcamp.

GRAD STUDENT
But my cousin is getting married...

PI
It is an honor to get into this program.  You are making the wrong decision if you don't go.

GRAD STUDENT
But my cousin is getting married... You would miss a family member's wedding to go to something that happens every year?

PI
Of course I would.  To succeed in academia so should you.

GRAD STUDENT
...

GRAD STUDENT
I'm not going to the bootcamp.  There isn't any money for me to pay for tickets anyhow.

PI
I would pay my own way.

GRAD STUDENT
You realize this thing happens every year right?

No comments: